When the Henry Francis du Pont house became Winterthur Museum in 1951, the du Pont family moved to a new home on the estate. H. F. du Pont decorated the residence with English and French antiques he had acquired early in his career as a collector, including a neoclassical French mantel clock. The clock was likely made in Paris between 1770 and 1830 and took its overall design from the emerging goût grecque developing in the city in the 1770s. Hickory Chair artists were intrigued with the silhouette of the clock—the arched frame, square fluted feet, and stepped base on a square plinth—and adapted the design for an elegant gold-leaf mirror. The Maurice Mirror is standard with clear mirrors.